Friday, October 5, 2007

Once You Go Black...

You know, I really wish I could just do some straight trash-talkin' right now, but I can't. Fuck, dude, does it get any better than this? That's a rhetorical question, numb-nuts, but I'll answer it anyway: no. Where to begin here? First of all, Frank Black wrote/writes the best songs of the last 20 plus years. Second of all, these are 3 of them. Third of all, how good is this?!?! And that band too -- old dudes? Longhairs? So good! I bet if you actually gave them enough weed so that they'd let you hang on the bus, you'd end up feeling like the biggest chode of all time. You'd be sitting there, eatin' Mexican food with 'em and they'd just be cracking all these awesome inside jokes that you don't get. They'd say something rad like, "Hey guy, that rip you laid on the slab last night was way on the other end of Chunesville" and then all laugh their damn faces off and you'd be sitting there not getting it so you'd laugh too (you know, just to, like, be a part of something) and they'd all stop (think: record screeching to a halt) and look at you for a sec and then go back to it shaking their heads and chuckling softly. Maybe one of them would say something like, "So weak" just to point out how much of a poseur you are. That would happen to me, at least. Anyway, it'd be fantastic.

Speaking of fantastic, when was MTV so damn good? I'm not one of these losers that's like, "This blows! There's no music! It's all reality TV!" (because I'm honest with myself) but damn son, this is some edgy shit -- sort of.

Oh, and P.S. I'm not talking about how awesome the Pixies were. They were really great and all, but here's to the one person I can think of (right now) who was better as a solo artist. Sue me. Stone me. Drown me. It's how I feel. It's called maturity -- Google it.

Anyhow, enjoy.



P.P.S. This is another one of the best songs ever written. It's on the same album as those others, but that's not the point. The point is, what's the story with that drummer's hat? Did he just get off his shift at Blades West? (That's a UWS reference. For those not in the know: Did he just get off his shift at the local snowboard/Rollerblade shop? -- ed.) Still, pretty X-Treme.



P.P.P.S. Lyle Workman

No comments: