Wednesday, March 5, 2008

DIE YUPPIE SCUM!

So starting at the end of 8th grade, I'm trying to 'get hip', i.e. trying to get into some records a bit more esoteric than soundgraden and nirvana. So the first step in this process was my brother buying a fugazi record ... repeater if I’m not mistaken. This inevitably leads to purchasing the minor threat record. Not a bad move (at all) in and of itself (in fact kinda one the better moves ever made when you think about it) However this purchase eventually lead to the long dark night of my "hardcore year" (which was lasted about 5 years)...there was virtually nothing excited about this time except I could only listen to hardcore all day every day. Every song I listened to needed a breakdown, a white dude yelling at me, and a drummer who played fast. Songs could only be about how girls didn’t like me, the problems of Latin America, what a dick Reagan was, how much support I got from other kids/the scene, and of course reminding me not to forget my roots. If any of these essential element were missing it was basically lame. When other records came on it was like “I guess this would be okay of some honky starting yelling at me about something and it was played at 45 rpms”. Eventually I made it out of this period, although with many psychological scars.


So this past weekender (heya matt hayes and dan silk, how's tricks?) I was down in Chinatown with some friends, drinking some drinks. So there are some douche bags in the house with their tucked in shirts and bland looking girlfriends. They were being loud, and we joked they were celebrating the closing on an apartment on 10th and B. So we lamented the death of cool shit in new york for a minute...whatever ... so I go to take a piss. I’m waiting on line ...and some ugly blonde girl comes over and starts asking me about a scarf ..."do you like this scarf?" ... and me being the polite young man that I try and be at all times replies "it's okay not really my style but whatever" ...so then some bagochilli comes over doesn't look at me and says to this very inebriated women .."this guy bothering you?" ... my reply was simply "what are you kidding me?!? I understand you had a couple but you need to calm yourself down buddy." ...its like people really say stuff like that to other people ... but then then he tries to buddy up to me. ... not a terribly good story but it did remind me of my very favorite band from those hardcore years ... YUPPICIDE ... so good ... I remember this show like it was yesterday ...or maybe the day before ...one of those skinny flailing arms belongs to robbie talihan ... "LOOK OUT YOU YUPPIE SUCKER" ... 90s hardcore: does it get better? The answer is no, it does not.




p.s. um ...yes please

No comments: