Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy 120

Last night a friend of mine and I were watching old episodes of MTV's 120 Minutes and I realized that after The Wire, this was probably the greatest show of all time. It's like a fucking novel, showing how this entire system is connected -- all the way from Midnight Oil to KMFDM.

Anyway, after watching about 215 minutes of it, I decided that every Friday would be 120 Minutes Day. This means that on every Friday of every week I will post a video that captures some aspect of this great program. Look forward to it.

A few months ago, Talihan and I were hanging, and he said something like, "All these dudes with tattoos all over their bodies are so lame. It's not like they're Henry Rollins." I couldn't have agreed more and told him that I was kinda starting to like the dude again. In college I thought of him as nothing more than the thinking man's jock, but after watching his show a few times I realized that homeboy's okay.

So that's where we'll start -- with good ol' HR (pun intended, nerds). This video got me through some rough times in 8th grade and if you're anything like me, it got you through some rough times in 8th grade too. As far as I'm concerned, this is just a traditional blues jam that kinda wants to cross over into funk-metal. No complaints.



And if you like this there are some more obscure Rollins videos out there and some great criticism.

So that's the first instalment of 120 Minutes Day. Now, smoke some cloves, take the 9 train to the village and throw back an Orbitz.

2 comments:

Mordecai said...

Orbitz! That shit was like bubble tea but poison.
I can die happy after this post, by the way. I feel like I lived history.

robbie talihan said...

KMFDM reference: well done.

If you could see the you that I see you see me you'd see yourself so differently belive me

Um .. fuck yes!